Thursday, June 15, 2017

The Sue Daley Workshop



The Sue Daley workshop was held at Thimbles in historic downtown Lockport, Illinois.


Thimbles is housed in an incredible 1870's building.


All of the details amazed me!


From the stone walls to the back stairs.


To the high punched tin ceilings.


I love how they embraced and enhanced the history!
A beautiful backdrop to their beautiful quilt shop!


This original store ladder enthralled me, not to mention the lovely fabrics!


And the old shop shelves offer perfect areas for display.


It's a large shop even more spacious with its high ceilings.


Such inspiration - old and new


Love these bins of quilts by the check out counter.


And then there was Sue Daley's workshop upstairs!
I didn't take many photos as I was busy taking notes and stitching.
This little camera and large screen tv was so clever! It allowed the entire class to see the same thing at once.
We were focused on fussy cutting and let me say that Sue has such wonderful tools to make it so much easier!
The rotating cutting mat, fussy cutting mirror, acrylic templates and stickit glue dots were all must haves to make the process so much easier!

Would you like to see our project?


Here it is! Wow! I got a little nervous, but if you take it step by step it is definitely doable.


And can you believe that this is the exact same pattern?! 
Fabric and placement make it look so different!


And believe it or not, the center medallion here is also the same design!


And this is how far I got in our workshop. 
I was pleased and have the confidence I need to keep going!
Unfortunately I have put it aside for the business of life and also for prepping for two more workshops that I will be attending this month and next...
But I hope to pick it back up soon and will share my progress!

So as someone once told me, I will now pass it on ~ if you ever have the chance to take a class with Sue Daley, be sure to do so!

Thank you ever so much for your prayers and positive thoughts for Mom and my sister-in-law as they each battle cancer. Your prayers mean ever so much to us! Please continue to keep them in your prayers as we progress on this journey.

The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
Psalm 19:1-2

Blessings, Patti

6 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Two more workshops? Lucky you.
Love the progress you made in this class.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Dearest Patti,
I often read your blog and am always very impressed by your needlework skills - your work is so very tidy. Living in Northern Ireland I try my best each June to attend the Clonard Novena run by the Redempterorist Fathers. During today's session your mother, sister in law and yourself were on my mind and in my prayers. May God bless you all.
E

WoolenSails said...

What a wonderful workshop and place to hold it in, love the building.

Debbie

Jean Bee said...

What a special post by "anonymous/E". I am continuing to pray for your mother and sister in law...and for you too. See you in July.

Marilyn said...

What a great Historical building.
The class looks intense!
But the results are so very pretty.
Keeping you all in my thoughts.
Marilyn

marly said...

Fantastic shop and building. This design looks so complicated and tedious to a non-quilter! Your wool finish is perfect as always.