Friday, June 30, 2017

A little antiquing


When Mom and I were in Wisconsin last month for a family wedding, we decided to hit an antique mall on the way home. Mom bought a wonderful old army blanket and I found these two treasures.



The clasp on this box is broken, but the painting is so beautiful.


And I loved that a name was painted on the back.
With a quick Google search, I found that Mr. & Mrs. N. B. Newnam were part of the establishment in 1838 of the Methodist Episcopal Church Society in Talmage Corners in LaGrange County, Indiana. The church was started with a membership of 14.

I wonder if this beautiful document box once contained papers related to the church...  


I also bought this doll sized dry sink. So sweet!
It looks very similar to a regular sized dry sink that I have from my parents.
I'll have to share a picture of both of them together one day...

Since that day, I did have a chance to stop at another antique mall.


Here are the treasures that I found there.


While I am not a fan of womens shoes (I have bad feet that are always sore), I love antique shoes and related items. My great-grandfather was a shoemaker for the Mooseheart Orphanage. (I have his old foot sizer.) I collect old shoe forms (mainly childrens) and "shoe" sewing items too. 
I'll have to share my collection one day.

Although I have some wooden children's shoe forms, this is the first time I've seen a matched set.
I love all of the nail/tack marks and signs of wear... 


They were priced individually, but I thought they really should stay together after all these years.
The price was right, so they came home with me.


Then there was the crewel work on top of this red wooden stool! Oh my!


The needle work and the story that it tells! I was smitten immediately.


I picked it up and couldn't put it down! Wow! To be able to do crewel work like this!

So these are my latest treasures that I just had to share with you.
Just looking at these pictures bring a smile to my face.
Is it wrong to walk around your home and admire your collections?
It sure makes the dusting more enjoyable lol!

There is still time to enter my little giveaway!
I will be picking a winner on July 3rd. You can enter here.

The Lord watches over you—
    the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
    nor the moon by night.

~Psalm 121:5-6

Blessings, Patti

7 comments:

Mugwump Woolies said...

Patti...I have this very same crewel work footstool! It was a kit offered by Family Circle Magazine offered in the 70's...maybe late 60's. I bought it for my mother and she completed most of it. Then I finished it. It is in my living room and is one of my favorite things since both my mother and I worked on it. I showed it on my blog a few years ago. Great find!
Have a great weekend! I hope this link works!
Robyn

http://mugwumpwoolies.blogspot.com/2012/01/crewel.html

marly said...

A true treasure in that painted box. Our only antique mall here, is in our mall that is close to empty so they are leaving also. Remarkable that Robyn also has the stool!

denise said...

beautiful crewel work!

Marilyn said...

What great treasures you found.
Enjoy them!
Marilyn

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I love that you researched and were able to find the history of the husband and wife who owned the box! My parents collected antiques when I was growing up, and I often wondered about the owners of the items we had and decorated with. What a find for you!

moosecraft said...

Wow! I would have purchased that crewel bench too! Beautiful! Love the painting on the trunk too....the design would make a great hooked rug! Happy 4th!

Old Crow Homestead said...

Wow such wonderful treasures you found! The crewel work is amazing.