Friday, April 11, 2014

The end of a special trip


We didn't have much free time on our trip, but tried to squeeze in moments of sightseeing whenever we could. We took a quick drive through a part of the Roosevelt National Forest. It was in the mid-60's, but there were still patches of snow.


We also stopped at Devil's Backbone on our way back to the Denver airport.
It just appeared before us on a drive looking for skating hills and was a beautiful geological sight.


We took a quick hike to take a look around.


It was a nice way to stretch a bit before sitting on a plane.


Estes Park is on my bucket list, but we knew that we didn't have enough time to visit. We thought we would just drive down the road a bit to see what we could see. Unfortunately, not very far in there was a rock slide. The road was down to one lane for both directions and there were significant delays.
So we decided it was time to head to the airport. 
As we were looking for the highway, we happened upon an antique store, so I hopped in for a quick look around. :)
And I found a few little treasures:


The moment I saw this Abraham Lincoln bank bottle, I knew that it had to go home with me (being from the Land of Lincoln :) Lucky for my mom, there were two. So she received one for her birthday. The cap has a neat Lincoln graphic on it. I'm thinking I will collect wheat pennies in it. I think the copper will look nice. I also found a sweet little heart pincushion filled with straw or sawdust with green x's along the seams. My final purchase was a pie crimper - this one is special as the handle is made of wood, but the wheel is made of bone. I will add it to my collection that you can see here.


And here you can see what I worked on during our trip.
To commemorate the winter that would never end. Our daffodils and tulips are raising their tightly closed buds, so of course they are saying that it may snow early next week.

This was a special trip for me. The future may be unknown, but I will treasure this time that I spent alone with my oldest son. When I look at my little souvenirs and this cross stitch piece, I hope that they will always trigger those special memories and the gratefulness that I feel that we were able to do this - together.

"Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth.
Worship the Lord with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.
Know that the Lord is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture."
~Psalm 100:1-3

Blessings, Patti

6 comments:

cucki said...

Sweet photos and your treasure is so
Pretty..I love it
Pretty stitching too
Hugs x

karin said...

lovely chart....love it!
karin :)
in NY

Lady Locust said...

I have a couple pin cushions and pie crust crimpers too. Wow, you must be a great person:)
Smiles,

Von said...

What a great trip and wonderful memories!

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Precious memories, and momentos! Thanks for sharing, I did a similar trip with my son and yours brought my precious memories to mind. Happy Spring!

-Susan- said...

I love your sweet cross stitchery! Can you tell me the name of the pattern and company? I have never seen this before and I adore it!