Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Collection #2


Some items I collect because they are inspired by a hobby (strawberry emeries in Collection #1),
other items I have no idea why I collect.
This is one of those items ~ Antique pie crimpers
Why do they appeal to me? I enjoy baking, but don't make pies that often.
I think there is something about them that exudes a folk art quality.
I have seen pie crimpers with metal wheels, but they don't appeal to me as much. So far, I have only purchased all wood pie crimpers. My first one was purchased at a garage sale for a dollar.
Recently I found a pie crimper with a bone wheel - now that is one that I would like to purchase, but it was not in my budget that day. I will keep my eyes open for another ;)

I also have to share a recent unusual antique purchase found at a favorite shop, Winterberry in Tuscola, IL, when visiting my parents: 


What is it, you ask?
I have no idea!
But I just had to have it! It is made of antique velvet and consists of 60 individual diamonds all sewn together by hand. The velvet appears to be covering cardboard or some other type of board.


In some ways it reminds me of antique puzzle ball pincuhions.
It is fairly large, about 9 inches across.
I think about the patience that someone had to piece and sew it all together and have it all fit just so!
I did a little online research and found that it is a moravian star. I found a similar piece here at a UK museum. The UK example was smaller and is a pincushion.  

I treasure my new found piece of antique folk art and wonder about its story. On two of the sides all the brown velvet nap has worn away with just the black base fabric remaining. Was it left too long in the sun? Handled too much? Just one more story that adds to the intrigue :)
"Even in darkness light dawns for the upright,
for those who are gracious and compassionate and righteous.
Good will come to those who are generous and lend freely,
who conduct their affairs with justice."
~Psalms 112: 4 - 5
Blessings, Patti

8 comments:

Lady Locust said...

I have 3-4 pie crust crimpers for no good reason too:?) I tend to use the designs on the side for smashing pastries and confections.
Smiles,
Lady Locust
http://www.thelocustblossom.blogspot.com/

Primitive Stars said...

Morning, love your collections, so much fun to see what others hold dear to their hearts.....that is a very interesting piece, really neat, Blessings Francine.

cucki said...

So sweet..your collection is so pretty.
Hugs x

Linda said...

You many have found this in your research already but you can make one too! http://pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.com/2011/02/woolie-moravian-star-tutorial.html
I've always wanted to!
Love your crimpers. I have one and never figured out how to use it...should look on youtube I guess!

Allenz said...

I love your collections. The pie crimpers are really neat.
I have a collection of old wood rulers with advertizing on them. It is interesting to learn about what people collect.
Can 't wait to see what your next post brings.

Colleen MacKinnon; Penny Rugs and More said...

Your velvet star is a Moravian star. It was a popular Victorian ornament. I have a vintage one from the 1950's. Mostly quilters create this item. I have done some research and posted about it on my blog and my youtube channel with a tutorial!

Ronnie said...

I have two Moravian Stars, one small and one large, I have found them at yard sales. I would like to make one using the tutorial on pennyrugsandmore. Lucky you to have found one. The crimpers are really great too.

Kellie from Indiana said...

Ronnie mentioned exactly what I was thinking of when I saw your star. I had seen the same thing on pennyrugsandmore.