Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy May Day!

"And ever when the happy child
In May beholds the blooming wild,
And hears in heaven the bluebird sing,
'Onward,' he cries, 'your baskets bring,
—In the next field is air more mild,
And o'er yon hazy crest is Eden's balmier spring.' "

Isn't this design so sweet?! The very talented Betty Dekat of primitivebettys shared the pattern as a May Day gift on her blog - here. Thank you ever so much Betty! I finished this just in time! (don't look to closely - I made several mistakes and don't believe in ripping)

Growing up I loved May Day. I was a girl scout and every year we would buy African violets for the teachers. We would decorate little plastic berry baskets to put the violets in. Early on May Day, we would sneak into school and hang them on the doorknobs of the classrooms to surprise the teachers. As this happened every year, I look back and realize the teachers were probably not surprised, but oh we felt so sneaky and excited! In middle school, May Day was lilac day and everyone would arrive at school with bouquets of lilacs for their favorite teachers. The school would be scented with that lovely scent for days to come...


I had to share my other favorite May Day item - a sweet little May Day dew gathering basket made by folk artist Lana Manis of Honeysuckle Lane. I love the little story that came with it. Doesn't it look so sweet with my papercuttings by Beth Twist of Heartstrings Primitives? a few of my most favorite things!

"Wreaths for the May! for happy Spring
To-day shall all her dowry bring,
The love of kind, the joy, the grace,
Hymen of element and race,
Knowing well to celebrate
With song and hue and star and state,
With tender light and youthful cheer,
The spousals of the new-born year."


I've just finished putting the finishing touches on my May Day pillow. Now I'm wondering how it would like teeny tiny over one... I think I'll go pull out some fabric :)

"April cold with dropping rain
Willows and lilacs brings again,
The whistle of returning birds,
And trumpet-lowing of the herds.
The scarlet maple-keys betray
What potent blood hath modest May,
What fiery force the earth renews,
The wealth of forms, the flush of hues;
What joy in rosy waves outpoured
Flows from the heart of Love, the Lord."

-excerpts from May-Day by Ralph Waldo Emerson

A Happy May Day to you!
Blessings, Patti

1 comment:

Julie said...

Patti, I like your finish of May Day. And I love the pillow in the photo atop your blog. Did you do that?