Sunday, February 22, 2009

Galena with the gals

Galena is a historic city in the northwest corner of Illinois bordering Iowa and Wisconsin. The city lies on the Galena River among bluffs and valleys. Eighty five percent of the structures in Galena are on the National Register of Historic Places including the home of Ulysses S. Grant.
We enjoyed the sightseeing and some shopping.I managed to find a few treasures:a prim carrier with a great patina.Some great old keys that I've been really drawn to lately, a four leaf clover old cookie cutter for luck and a miniature metal document box with only hints of its original decorative painting. I've never seen one this tiny before.We enjoyed a great dinner at Fried Green Tomatoes. Then returned to the lovely house that we rented in Eagle Ridge Territory - a five bedroom home with a lovely dining room with plenty of room to spread out our stitching and knitting and enjoy the views all around us.

We stayed up til the wee hours of the morning creating and enjoying the gently falling snow.


We awoke to new views of a quiet winter wonderland.We enjoyed the morning with more stitching/knitting. Unfortunately, I can't share what I worked on right now, but there will be a TDIPT update next weekend... I also worked on a swap project that I'll share once it reaches its new home (Hi Audrey! Be sure to scan down to the photos of her lovely 1840's home...)


Then it was time for me to head home. Family commitments prevented me from staying the second night, but I was so happy that I was able to go at all!


The roads were pretty clear, but after two hours of driving I decided to take a break and stop at my favorite primitives store in Rockford Illinois - Forgotten Treasures. I treated myself to a Schneeman bird and a Stein's bird.


And I just couldn't resist this Schneeman angel: I just love her fringed wool skirt and her sweet expression.


It was a lovely weekend filled with friends and fun - I can't wait until next year!


I hope that your weekend was just as blessed...


Blessings, Patti

10 comments:

Tina said...

Wow, how wonderful that all looks and I too am a lover of keys, I have a few myself and pick them up wherever I can find them.
Blessings
T

Kelly Fillion said...

Hi Patti, just found your blog again, you have some wonderful posts! I see my little shadow box in one picture, thanks! Ahhhhh looks like you had a wonderful time there, sounds like my cuppa tea!
Cheers
Kelly
Dove Grey

Julie said...

That looks like such a historically lovely place. I will have to look into it myself.

I love the treasures you picked up on your travels. Those keys are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a fun looking group!!My Son looked into your blog and said it looked very professional. I said that's our Patti! Can't wait till Galena next year!! c.e.

bayrayschild said...

Oh Patti, Galena looks like a place I would really enjoy.
Those buildings are so beautiful!

The treasures you purchased are right up my alley!

I thought for sure you were going to let the cat out of the bag and share just a little hint of my swap item. Darn it! I am just too curious.

It's getting close to the shipping date so I guess I'll just have to hang on!

Audrey

Lana Manis said...

Good morning Patti ~ what a fun trip! And that snow is so beautiful! Great buys too! Thanks for sharing your day!

Melissa said...

Hi Patti,

I wandered over to your blog today from Beth Twist's blog (wonderful new booklet). As I browsing your blog I saw the BOAF Valentine stitch that you did. I am a BOAF fan and I know that chart is OOP. I was wondering if you are interested in selling or trading it. You can come visit me at
http://wordsnblooms.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Melissa

Suzanne said...

I see you! :)Lol!

Patti, it looks like a perfect weekend away. Antique shopping, light snow, stitching with friends, thanks for sharing. Galena looks like a beautiful place to visit.

La Donna Welter said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time! I lived in Sun Prairie, WI for a few years, so you bring back many wonderful memories with your photos and your stop in Rockford! : )

Suzann said...

I LOVE Galena. We went last year for our anniversary and although I was hoping we would go again this year, it doesn't look like it will happen. I love all the shops there. I didn't know about this store in Rockford though, I'm going to look that one up. Are you in Illinois?
As for the keys...I am always on the look out for old keys and buttons.