Friday, March 22, 2019

Fancy Floss


Do you know what treasures I keep in my stack of antique shaker boxes?
My fancy floss! 

The largest box on the bottom contains all of my The Gentle Arts Sampler Threads.


A little while back, Mom was kind enough to organize them all alphabetically on rings.
Aren't I lucky?!

One night when I wasn't feeling well enough to stitch, 
I logged all of them on my XStitch app on my phone.
Now when I buy a pattern, I'll know if I have the threads or not.

I should mention that these are just the threads that aren't currently in use or kitted with a project.
(I guess I really have many more... shh!)


It was fun to go through them as I logged them.
Do you remember way back when at the beginning of the overdyed thread movement
when they just had little paper tags?


Or when the tags looked like this?


It's interesting to see how much thread lots can vary.


 Some look like totally different colors.
I don't let it bother me. When I pull the threads for a project  - I pull all the skeins and see which works best.


When logging them, I found that for most colors I have one or two skeins, but for others I have many! One color I had 10 skeins!


I am so glad that these are organized. 
Now I know what I have for the most part and can limit my duplicates... maybe ;)
On to my Weeks Dye Works threads!

Let's have some fun and a little giveaway :)
Comment here or send me an email to pgagliardi9@hotmail.com with Fancy Floss in the subject and tell me:
What color did I have 10 skeins of?
How many skeins of The Gentle Arts Sampler Thread are in the box?

You'll win a skein of that popular color and a few other items as well.
I'll pick two winners on Monday, April 1st - no fooling! ;)

 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. 
With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
~Ephesians 6:18

Blessings, Patti

30 comments:

3millplainrd said...

My guess is that you had 10 skeins of Carriage Black. I use that onea lot too, especially in a Stacy Nash, for example.

Jacqueline said...

I am guessing the Harvest green that you showed in the blog. As for how many skeins in your box, Hmmm how about 90.

Ketty Rose said...

Penso il colore cayenne!

Lady Locust said...

That bowl full of floss is one of the most drool worthy sites I've seen in some time! I don't know the names of those colors, but will venture a guess. I call it "old man green." It's a rather dark drab gbrownish green. and happens to be one of my favorites (especially with copper:-).
Have a beautiful day!

denise said...

I have lots of duplicates too. Mine hang on tie holders inside a closet door. I think there are 75 in the box and you have 10 of wood
trail.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Now you tell me there’s an app for that LOL??? I have spent many hours the past few weeks organizing and journaling my flosses, but I started an old-fashioned paper journal and did checklists.... But at least all the flosses are sorted now, and not spread in 100 different locations....and I can look in one place to know if I have the needed color. Actually, I was just putting together a post about that... (Great minds I tell ya!). As for guesses....hmmm...I pretty much stink at that.... But I am going to guess you have 10 skeins of “Black Crow” (love that color LOL)....and that there 117 skeins in the box. Happy weekend! Robin

WoolenSails said...

I have a couple of their threads that were gifted to me, I was wondering if they bleed much?
You have quite the nice collection, thinking their are 117 of the samplers and maybe you have 10 of the black?

Debbie

Ronnie said...

I think there are 123 flosses and you had 10 onyx.

Marilyn said...

I'll guess 175 skeins, and maybe 10 Lancaster red.
Marilyn

LoveLee said...

Beautiful thread collection! You seem to have a lot of cream color so I am going to guess Shaker White. And I am guessing there are 85 skeins in the box??

mckinney37397 said...

Black crow at least 250 skeins which XStitch do you have the original or plus that you subscribe to

Robin in Virginia said...

What a gorgeous way to store your 'fancy floss'! Hmmm, I think you have 10 skeins of Dried Thyme and at least 135 skeins in your large Shaker box. Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

linda said...

I think there are 105 skeins in your beautiful box and you have 10 skeins of dried thyme

Barb said...

I love the way you have them organized. I would guess 125 skeins and 10 of dried thyme...which always changes colors.

Carla Mc said...

I will be looking for a box or 2 like these for my Fancy floss. Did you have 10 skeind of dried thyme. It used to be in almost all my patterns. Or maybe oatmeal. Happy organizing.

Kathy H said...

I am guessing 165 skeins and 10 of the green. I enjoyed seeing all those colors.

Anonymous said...

Hi! My guess is 10 skeins of Apple Cider and I’m guessing 262 skeins in that box! Love the colours!
kcmrugs@gmail.com

Simple Pleasure said...

Love...love...love those boxes, Patti! I'm going to guess 77 skeins in that box...I'm thinking you have 10 skeins of Endive...funny story here...my cousin just re-organized her floss and did a lot of kitting; due to back orders, she has better than 10 skeins of Endive left over...LOL
I so much enjoy that you have an "interactive" aspect to you giveaways...love reading what others post!
Warm regards,
Patricia

GeneGribouille03 said...

Tes boites sont magnifiques nous n'en avons pas en France de ce genre, belle collection de fils et un beau moyen de rangement je dirai 65, bon week end et belle broderie Geneviève de France amitiés

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

I will guess a red color, and 117 total! They look so lovely in your shaker box!! I love shopping for threads, I wonder what that means!!!!

Unknown said...

I am guessing 10 skeins of Harvest Basket and 112 in the box.

Donna G. said...

Hmmmmm, if you are like me, you probably have 10 skeins of Dried Thyme. I always like seeing that color listed on a pattern as I know that I won’t have to order any......at least for awhile. I’m going to guess that you have 155 skeins in the box.

Pat S. in Lebanon said...

I am guessing that you have 127 skeins in the box and 10 skeins of Baby Spinach.

Wendy Howard said...

What xstitch app do you use and where did you find it. Thanks, Wendy

Rugs and Pugs said...

That is a lot of specialty floss. How nice to have it organized.
I'd say you have 10 skeins of blue floss and there are 93 in the box.
Those Shaker boxes make my heart sing ;)

Cathy Pharr said...

I'm going to guess the color you had the most of is harvest basket and 102 skeins. I love your posts and the inspirational verses that you add. Thank you, Cathy

Louise Doney said...

I too love all things prim, so I’m guessing 10 of dried thyme and 101 skeins in the beautiful shaker box.

Anonymous said...

My guess is you have 10 scans of Walnut and total skeins ...144. Snow is melting in northern Wisconsin. I am anxious for tulips and wild asparagus. Beautiful, sunny day today. Life is good. Joan

Graciela from Minnesota said...

Love those boxes..I'll go with 10 skiens of blue and 103 varied colors. One can never have too many threads!

DianeM said...

Holy Moley - that's alot of threads....love them all! I am guessing if you're like me you accumulate black...just in case, right? So, I'm guessing 10 skeins of Black Crow or Licorice? As far as how many you've got stored in that shaker box...OMGosh it's gotta be at least 100...so I'll say 110. Thanks for sharing - your stitches & finishes are beautiful <3