Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Playing tourist in my own hometown


The weekend before I met the Bittersweet Stitching Sisters, 
my husband and I played tourist in downtown Chicago.


We went to see "Hamilton" and it was absolutely amazing!
I bought the soundtrack before we went and we read the book several years ago, 
so we could really enjoy all of the nuances of this remarkable show.
I highly recommend it!


We decided to make a weekend of it,
so we spent the night at the Chicago Athletic Association.
(The elevators are lined with the wood floors of the original fencing studio.)


This amazing club was built in 1893 and was a private club until 2007.
It was reopened a few years ago as a hotel.
I attended several professional events here during my career when it was a private club 
and I was anxious to see how much of the original club remained.


I was delightfully surprised to see that most of it remains original.
The library is as beautiful as I remembered.
With all the original windows overlooking Michigan Avenue and Millenium Park.


A wonderful place to relax on a cold and rainy afternoon.


This mosaic above the elevators was stunning.


Another delightful surprise was finding two of Henry Kupjack's miniature rooms on display in the Drawing Room! Henry and his father Eugene are world-renowned miniaturists - their works are on display in many museums around the world including the Art Institute of Chicago. 
(We have one of their rooms in our local library as I live the same neighborhood 
where Eugene and Henry lived.)  


While not as opulent as the first room, I really love this miniature room as well.


The details are absolutely amazing!
Do you see the face jug next to the three barrels?

Later in the evening, we went up to Cindy's - the rooftop bar.


The glass and iron roof was lovely,


but the view really stole the show!
Do you see Skygate (aka The Bean?) and the ice rink starting to be set up?
Such a great view of Millenium Park and the skyline.


Here is a closer view and the red structure is Pritzker Pavillion - the site of many outdoor summer concerts.


and here is the modern wing of The Art Institute of Chicago. 
We could even see a few twinkling lights from Indiana - around the bend of lake Michigan.

When we came back down, we had to take a peek at


the bocce ball court in the original game room


and the staircase to the original swimming pool is stunning as well.
All too soon it was time to head home


But first we stopped at the Pittsfield Cafe for some breakfast.
It is a traditional diner, but my favorite is the cafe seating in the atrium of the historic Pittsfield Building - the tallest building in Chicago when completed in 1927.


So many lovely details.

Before taking the short "L" (elevated train and subway) ride home, 
we made one last stop in one of my favorite buildings.


The Chicago Cultural Center - always open to the public.
This building opened in 1897 and was originally the City's replacement library  - built after the great Chicago fire.
It is the home of the largest Tiffany glass dome in the world.


Pretty details and a view of Millenium Park.


Wonderful quotes remain in the walls from its days as a library.


One more lovely than the next.


The tilework is absolutely stunning!


Here is a close up to see the luminosity and details of the tiny pieces.


The names of great authors etched in the very ceiling.
And in about 40 minutes, we were home sweet home :)

Thanks for letting me share some of my Sweet Home Chicago!
I hope that you have a chance to visit and experience it as well!

There is still time to enter my little giveaway - be sure to comment here.

For the Lord is good and his love endures forever;
    his faithfulness continues through all generations.
~Psalm 100:5

Blessings, Patti

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

What beautiful architecture!
Marilyn

denise said...

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

GeneGribouille03 said...

Merci pour la promenade je suis toujours impréssionnée par ces grands buildings magnifiques archtectures anciennes belle journée Geneviève

Jacqueline said...

Thank you for taking me along. I love architecture and this was soooo amazing.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Thank you so much for this post. Maybe some places for me to check out next time I am in Chicago. So much amazing architecture in your city.
Happy Thanksgiving 🦃🦃🦃

Claire said...

Wow, such an amazing tour of your beautiful city. Thanks for sharing.