Thursday, August 19, 2021

Wild & Wooly Escape



This past weekend Mom and I attended the Wild & Wooly Escape 
in Shipshewana, Indiana.
This retreat has been going on for a few years, but this was the first year we attended.

Mary Blythe of Blythe Girl Designs was one of the featured teachers!

This was part of her display of current designs in her classroom.
So much eye candy! 😍

Mom and I each took a class with Mary.


Mom took this class


And I took this one.


Mary is a wonderful teacher and I highly recommend taking a class if you ever have the opportunity!


She is so generous in sharing her knowledge and in all the little extras.


Of course I couldn’t leave class without a few more of her delightful patterns


And her amazing book filled with great designs 
And a few of her favorite notions.


The retreat also featured “destash” tables.
I didn’t think to take pictures when they were chock full, but here is a pic from the last day.

Mom and I brought three large tote bags of items to sell and just about everything found new homes -
Providing lots of funds to restash LOL!


I was delighted to find this sweet kit on the destash tables 


Along with this darling pattern


And this amazing project bag made with Blackbird Designs fabrics 
Made by fellow attendee Monica.
Love it! ❤️


The Blue Gate Garden Inn had lovely areas for stitching both inside and out 
when you wanted to move around a bit.


This was my view when stitching outside one afternoon.


The retreat also had a show and tell one evening where each attendee could present a finish. 
Mine is on the left - Rebekah L. Smith’s Thistle Runner and Mom’s Koi Pond by Crane Designs. 

The finishes were all stunning! To see them all, be sure to visit 


There were vendors on site as well. 
I promised myself not to buy any wool as I have enough to vend myself lol,
But who could resist these tonal packs?!


Each and every attendee also received a door prize and mine could not have been more perfect!
A quilt book and kit based on Christmas at Marshall Field’s on State Street in Chicago. 

So many family memories have been made there starting with my grandparents taking me and your sister to The Walnut Room as children and my husband and I doing the same with our boys…


Of course you have to shop when in Shipshewana!
A visit to Yoder’s Department Store is required!
They have an amazing selection of cookie cutters and a few went home with me.


Along with this great fabric collection and two pairs of shoes - 
LOL they have it all!


I did a little antiquing and those water spout handles caught my eye.


Here are my tiny treasures.


The tiny red tin box was special and the ruler says “for the ladies work basket”.


I made some good progress on my class piece while there.

I had some delayed surgery on my foot two days after returning, but it’s given me an opportunity to slow down and think about how wonderful this retreat was! 
Mary and Lisa did a phenomenal job putting everything together - from the classes, to the vendors, to all the activities - it was just perfect! 

And Mom and I are signed up to return next year!
We can’t wait!

And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
    and to walk humbly with your God.
~Micah 6:8

Blessings, Patti

12 comments:

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Such a spirit builder to be among like-minded creative folks for a few days, isn’t it? Nice pics and I love your turkey. I’m fond of most things turkey! Great stitching

Susan Simmons said...

Iit was great to see you guys last weekend.
I am already looking forward to next year😁. Lots of great talent in the group for sure . Plus lots of fun classes and great teachers.

Marilyn said...

That looks like a fantastic event.
What great projects & goodies you found.
Marilyn

Carlie said...

It sure looks like you had a wonderful time. I wish one of my daughters was as interested in doing needlework so we could do things together like you and your mom. Needless to say I am so jealous! Enjoy you new adventures and thank you for sharing them with us!

TheCrankyCrow said...

It looks like all kinds of fun was had!! Oooohhh....that lovely large pumpkin applique piece in your first photo is just incredible! It would take me a lifetime and then some to finish something like that. I enjoy appliqué so much, but don't do it very often....Not sure why as I have several projects "in waiting" LOL. ~Robin~

Deborah said...

Sounds wonderful. You found some wonderful treasures.

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

Love all your treasures. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a fun retreat.
Hoping you heal quickly!

Robin said...

Oh my goodness. I am swooning over here. What a great retreat. Beautiful pieces and beautiful view. I am sure like many of us, you were more than ready for a get away and this looks like a great one. I am the mother in the mother-daughter crafted duo in my family and I just absolutely love our creative weekends. I don’t blame you for signing up for next year already. Thanks for sharing.

acorn hollow said...

How wonderful you get to do this with your mom. I have a hard time passing wool too.
wonderful projects you and your mom accomplished!
Cathy

Lady Locust said...

Where did you go? You are missed 💖
Hoping you are well.

LilyPadPrimitives said...

Love, love, love the turkey. Do you have a pattern for it or know where I can get one?