Tuesday, May 29, 2018

A Quick Trip to Galena, Illinois


Just four days after returning from From Our Hands ~ Creative in Ohio, 
I was on another quick trip.
Our Stitch Club went for a long weekend to Galena, Illinois.
I think that the last time we went as a group was 2011 - way too long!


We rented a house in Eagle Ridge Territory and were able to enjoy these lovely views.


The weather was so nice, that I was even able to stitch outside for a while.


We all worked in a variety of mediums
from wool applique and penny rugs to English Paper Piecing and knitting.
I loved the feedsack print Lucy Boston squares!

I even had a finish or two.


"Rabbit Warren"
complete with her little bunny thread board


I started this a few years back and am happy to have it finished to enjoy this spring.


I also finished this:
Spring Robin Sewing Kit

I bought this kit many years ago.


It has several needle pages.
On one page I added a heart pocket for my scissors.
 

And on the back cover is a blue robin egg pin keep.


We stopped to shop at Lucky Quilt Company in Pecatonica, Illinois on the way.
Aren't these so sweet? Do you see the tiny angel zipper pull? And the pretty flowered tape measure?


And we stopped at Yellow Creek Quilt Designs where I had fun spending a gift certificate that I won last fall. I love the leather and aluminum cross bracelet. And who can have too many scissors?! Mom and I tried out the Tim Holtz scissors this past weekend and they are fabulous!

On the way home I thought I would stop at a favorite antique mall. My memory did not remember too clearly and it was 15 miles out of the way. What's 15 miles (actually 30 miles there and back) when antiquing. At least I found something after that drive ;)


Oops a favorite photo bomber of mine - Hi Peanut!


I found this fabulous carved wood pin cushion and some wonderful needle packs.
The large package of crewel needles says "War economy pack".
I did some online research and found this exact pincushion - antique treen 19th century pair of walnut miniature pin cushion bellows - English circa 1870.
The tip is broken off, but I don't mind. 


Here you can see where the pins are stored.

Ladies, we must go back again next year!

There is still time to enter my little giveaway. You can find it here.

planted in the house of the Lord,
    they will flourish in the courts of our God.
They will still bear fruit in old age,
    they will stay fresh and green,
proclaiming, “The Lord is upright;
    he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.”
~Psalms 92:13-15

Blessings, Patti

4 comments:

Lady Locust said...

Oh I think I have stitcher's envy. And a billows pincushion! I might be sticking my tongue out at you. Who me? Not I. I would never do such a thing 😉 Good to hear it was an enjoyable getaway. The area looks lovely.

denise said...

nice goodies

Kathy H said...

What a peaceful place for a retreat. Nice to see all your projects. And that bellows pincushion. Would look so cute sitting next to a fireplace with a current project!

Rugs and Pugs said...

That pincushion is so sweet. You always come home with the best stuff.
Sweet finishes as always :)