Saturday, April 7, 2018

The Biltmore of Asheville, North Carolina


You can't go to Asheville, North Carolina without visiting The Biltmore Estate.
It's the largest private residence in the USA.
The Biltmore was built in 1895 and was the home of George Washington Vanderbilt II. 


I loved the Wintergarden right inside the front doors.


And the Great Hall.
We were lucky as they were having an exhibit with the costumes from the movie, "Titanic".


A beautiful home and beautiful costumes.
I was attracted to the piano on the right and the wonderful Victorian paisley scarf that covered it.
I've been collecting antique paisley just like this!


It has been almost 30 years since my last visit and it was fun to share with my husband and sons.


This was Kate Winslet's dress that she wore at the very front of the ship with her arms outstretched.

After touring the house, we toured all of the gardens.


It was a lovely day for walking and enjoying the countryside.


The daffodils were blooming and the conservatory was stunning!


Once you walked inside the conservatory, you're struck by the warmth, colors and fragrance.


Big and little delights around each corner.


Such stunning orchids


And exotic flowers.


I drank up as much springtime as I could knowing that we were returning to the cold 
and that spring at home was still some time away...

I have many of my mother's needlework finishes to share and a few of my own as well. 
I'll be back soon with those!

fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
~Hebrews 12:2-3

Blessings, Patti

8 comments:

marly said...

Wow. WOW.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

No doubt the Biltmore is a very beautiful home--love the library, the huge tapestries and Napoleon's chess set. Dd you go to Grove Park Inn?

Marilyn said...

Looks like a fantastic place to visit.
Love all of the flowers.
Marilyn

marie said...

We went to the Biltmore for part of our honeymoon 32 years ago during Christmas time. The poinsettias were fantastic. Every room had a Christmas tree decorated with handmade ornaments of the time period. Pictures weren't allow inside at the time, has that rule changed? I'd love to go back and see it again. Thanks for the great memories.

Rugs and Pugs said...

WOW! One day I must get there!
Happy April ~ still wintery here in northern Ohio, too. Enough Mother Nature!!!

Halland House Gifts said...

I went with my family as a child. I don’t recall if we were moving while on this trip or we were there as part of some other trip. I do know that it was closed, so we were not able to visit. In 2018, Internet research is so easy, but back then an impromptu visit was a little dicier. Maybe one day in the future my family will go back and we’ll tack on a visit to Sassy Jacks Stitchery. I’m salivating already.

Unknown said...

Wow. That's amazing.

Tina White said...

Great post about Biltmore:-) It's nice to be reminded of an era where we had babies at home and living sustainably was required. Can you believe it was built as a summer home? CRAZY! Thank you for the great post.