Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Vacation Memories... revised


Oops! I hit "post" after loading the pictures, rather than "save"!
Mom is out of the hospital and staying with me for a bit. Hopefully these complications are just a blip on the journey to be cancer-free.


I think my favorite vacation activity is the daily kayak adventures.
Always armed with my camera and sometimes a fishing pole, too.


You never know what you might see.


There are always loons - diving for food. You never know where they will resurface.


One day we were able to spend a delightful half hour watching an otter feeding.
(S)he would dive to the water's bottom, find some delicious morsel, come up to the surface, flip on to its back and dine. Then would do it all over again.


We've seen otters before, but this was a first!


Then there was the family of mallards that decided to join us one day.


I told them that they could jump in my kayak for a rest, but no one took me up on it.


The waterlillies were blooming ~ always a pretty sight. They made me think of our oldest son who couldn't join us. He graduated from college and is working at the Chicago Botanic Gardens in Aquatic Plants.


Another day we had the pleasure of watching a Great Blue Heron fishing for his lunch.


We were happy to see him catch one.


He swallowed it in one gulp.


He was a magnificent bird and it was a pleasure to watch,


With my son's new job, I was more cognizant of the aquatic plants than before and thought this one was pretty as well.


Spending days on the water moving at a slow pace with the beauty and sounds of the outdoors and only the quiet splash of the paddles restores my soul.

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
Revelation 3:20

Blessings, Patti

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

Great pics.
So calm and peaceful.
Marilyn

linda said...

Sounds like a wonderful serene restorative vacation!

Jean Bee said...

Very nice pictures. Glad your Mom is staying with you. I pray that it's all uphill from here.
Jean Elliott

Prims By The Water said...

Beautiful photos Patti. We have the herons here in our neck of the woods. We also have yellow water lilies instead of the normal white ones. I have always loved otters, but never seen them in person other than our local zoo. Would have been awesome to see it getting its lunch. Glad you had a nice vacation! Janice

WoolenSails said...

It looks like a beautiful place to spend a vacation. Love being able to get on in the kayak and just enjoy nature.
Prayers for your mom and a full recovery.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Thoughts and prayers for y
ตารางคะแนนพรีเมียร์ลีกou and your mom! Beautiful work, as always.