Thursday, December 8, 2016

Chicago Christkindlmarket 2016


I hope that you don't mind that I share the Christkindlmarket every year,
but it is one of my favorite traditions!


This visit was the best! It was 70 degrees on opening night and it was empty!
Can't ask for more than great weather and no crowds.


I think that if you didn't look up at the skyscrapers of Chicago and the Picasso, you could believe that you are in Germany... 


So many beautiful booths of handmade wares.


Beautiful glass ornaments


The Kathe Wohlfahrt building is an absolute Christmas Wonderland, but photos are not allowed.
Their website is here and will give you a feel for the delights inside.


Beautiful hand painted ornaments.


So many gorgeous Russian nesting dolls - how would you pick just one?!


Fun wooden pull toy ornaments.
(Don't be startled by the Krampus masks on the right like I was!)


I think that the paper lantern stars were even more detailed and gorgeous this year.


Gingerbread cookies and sugared, spiced nuts - yum!


German workmanship in wood.


 Beautiful cuckoo clocks.
I am so glad that we have one hanging in our home - the gift of dear friends from Germany.
I love the tick tock and the cuckoo bird who comes out to visit each half hour - so comforting.


Nutcrackers standing at attention and tiny battery operated cuckoo clocks.


The ornament house - one of two.


Each year ornaments from here end up in each of the boys stockings - figural ornaments that represent something that occurred that year.
The majority of our tree is decorated with these ornaments now.


Sparkling and so pretty.


The Christkind (Christmas Angel) attended opening night.


I was so happy that there was no line for the Sweet Castle this night!
I always stock up on German chocolates for the year...
Since it was not crowded, I was able to take photos inside for the first time!


A pretty antique carousel decorated with gingerbread cookie hearts and chocolate advent calendars.


Chocolate Santas all lined up.


Hard candies in every flavor.


A Haribo (gummy) lovers dream :)


I filled my basket with kinderchocolades - don't tell the boys!
(Although I think they are expecting it!)

The next few posts will be other favorite Chicago Christmas traditions.
I get excited each year and can't help but take more photos :)
Thanks for letting me share my fun.

"But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 
You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus."
~Luke 1:30-31

Blessings, Patti

9 comments:

Marilyn said...

This looks like a gorgeous, fun event with so many beautiful Christmas crafts.
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Marilyn

denise said...

looks like that is such a fun event.hopefully next year i'll go to a real christmas market.i didn't think you could get kinder eggs here. i want to go back to Germany.It's beautiful there.

Mugwump Woolies said...

I love this post and look forward to your visit to this market every year! Since I am German I love seeing all these wonderful goodies...so many that were a part of my childhood Christmases. My Annie will only eat German chocolate...she knows the difference, too! Thankfully there is a market here that carries it all year. Thanks for sharing this lovely Christmas market with us.
Robyn

Me and My Stitches said...

My mom loves to go to Chicago for this market. I went with her a few years ago - drove to Galesburg, and then took the train. Lots of fun to see all of the goodies there.

kelley said...

I love when you share this...vicarious thrills...the ornaments, the paper stars and Haribo loves dream is right...what a wonderful market...

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

what a magical place! oh I wish we had one near us ~ I would be shopping like a crazy-person! I esp. love the cuckoo clocks ~ we have three here in the farm house! love to hear them ~ a ticking clock is like a heartbeat in the home.....
enjoy that chocolate & sweets!
L

Shelly said...

Thank you for the pictures. Now I see even more what my daughter and I missed! We were supposed to fly in tomorrow, to Chicago because this market was the closest I would come to the real deal in Germany! Beautiful! I'm just blown away. I remembered a blogger who had pictures up of this market before but I just couldn't remember who! So it's you, lol! As far as I'm concerned, you can put pictures up of this market every single year. Life happened and so I cancelled this flight. The tickets expire June of next year so my daughter and I are going to New Orleans in March. Not a bad trade off, I guess! So I'm going back to your pictures to feast!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy it each and every time and hope maybe to get there next year. 70* and no crowds. Perfect!
Merry Christmas 🎄🎄🎄

Linda said...

Some year I HAVE to see this!