Saturday, July 25, 2015

Stitch Camp 2015 ~ The Shopping


Another great thing about Stitch Camp is the shopping!
Here is the view of Jefferson Street in Spring Green, Wisconsin.
On the right you see Nina's, a wonderful old fashioned department store. Next is Country Sampler, my stitching mecca :) 
Then you can see the trees where there is a little park right next to the shop.
In all, a wonderful homey small town.

 

Country Sampler is only a three hour drive from my home.
My husband can't understand how it could possibly take me nine hours to get there?!
Well, I like to shop my way there...
Favorite stops like J.J. Stitches in Sun Prairie, WI,
A variety of antique shops and malls


And Lynn's in Madison, WI.

I was quite successful in my shopping throughout camp.


A variety of my favorite Weeks Dye Works linens...


Lovely fabrics for finishing...


some wool ~ of course, Jeanne's Settlement Collection for some English paper piecing,
and some wonderful hand-dyed osnaberg fabric that Country Sampler is now carrying...

and my favorite new find:

 

Wonderful yardage with finished edges for table mats and table runners!
I think this would be perfect for adding wool applique or even a little English paper piecing.
Ideas are whirling through my head, but the best part is that they would look so pretty on the table just as is until I add my embellishments! :)

I found some antique treasures along the way as well...


This tiny little spinning wheel - the tiny pedal really makes the wheel turn 
~ on the bottom it is marked: WM Nelson, Auburn, W.

I collect little tin document boxes, this one was in really great shape. 
The best part was when I turned it over:


Loved the advertisement. Next I opened it up:


Yep, I knew that it was coming home with me :)


One of the dealers at the Odana Antique Mall had just acquired a large collection of pine needle baskets and trays. Each more lovely that the next. The intricate design of this one called to me.
I think it would be perfect for displaying antique pincushions and emeries. 


When traveling with my stitching I love to use antique baskets.
The two in the back have traveled with me to many classes.
The one in front is my newest addition.


The hinge and the clasp caught my eye.

I saw a few bigger ticket items on my way up to camp.
I thought about them a lot and knew that if they were still there on my way home,
 they would have to go home with me.


I love tramp art and thought that this old spice cabinet would be great for threads. 
It needs some work and I will share it again when all cleaned up.
It is made entirely of cigar boxes.


This piece is a true "Wisconsin" piece as that is where the cigars originated.


And the tax stamps on the boxes are from 1880 - 1883. I'm not sure that the cabinet itself is that old or just made from old boxes, but I love it just the same.

The other bigger ticket item that I wanted as even older,
 and lucky for me it was still there:


A beautiful reversible coverlet.


Dated 1846, its even older than the tramp art cabinet.
I loved all the flowers, but even more...


I loved those little birds.


So many new treasures and even better - so many new memories!

Thanks for joining me for 2015 Stitch Camp!

Good will come to those who are generous and lend freely,
who conduct their affairs with justice.
~Psalm 112:5

Blessings, Patti

6 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Patti,
You found some wonderful treasures!!! LOVE that coverlet.
I, too, collect the picnic baskets because "some day" I am going to hook mats for the top of them. Some day...sigh.
Hugs :)
Lauren

linda said...

You found some great treasures to add to your collections! My favorites are the table runner fabrics and the thread box. Love to see some wool applique on one of those runners. Will you gift your Mom some of that fabric>

marly said...

Gorgeous coverlet! Your new fabrics are wonderful and you've picked up some great pieces.

Three Sheep Studio said...

You hit pay dirt !
Lovely treasures with so much history.
Rose

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Patti, you should thank God I'm not your neighbor - I would be at your house all day and every day! Love your taste in antiques; you are a kindred spirit. Thanks for sharing about stitch camp.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Patti,
You found some amazing things.....especially that darling metal box with the advertisement and goodies inside!! I collect those too and would have loved to find that one!!! Lucky you!!
Also love the coverlet!! Beautiful colors!! So many fun treasures for you to enjoy!!
Thank you for sharing your great finds and your special time at stitch camp!!
Warm Hugs~
Julie