Saturday, April 28, 2012

Snippets & scraps



This month one of my TDIPT Mercantile offerings will be created from my collection of antique woven coverlet pieces. I treasure these works of art created by hand over 100 years ago. I don't own pristine coverlets, but rather pieces that are threadbare, well worn and loved.

I keep them folded on a shelf in a spot where I can admire them fequently. Ocassionally, I decide to use a part of them for my creations. Carefully cutting my pieces as close together and as close to the edge as possible so as not to waste any of it.

Still as the shapes are cut, there are inevitably some snippets and scraps. As I encountered them, I found myself trimming them into tiny little hearts in whatever shape might fit. Now I have this group of sweet little coverlet hearts and my mind keeps trying to think of what to do with them...
They aren't very sturdy... I'm not sure if I could stitch them to a base. I don't like to use glue at all.
And so my mind wanders...

"I wish for you my friend
This happiness that I've found;
You can depend on God
It matters not where you're bound,
I'll shout it from the mountain top
I want the world to know
The Lord of love has come to me
I want to pass it on."

 
Blessings, Patti

5 comments:

Karen said...

I know whatever treasure you come up to create with them will be lovely.

Hugs - karen

TheCrankyCrow said...

Awww....such sweet admiration....And I so agree that those treasures need to be treasured and preserved. Wish I had some brilliant idea to share with you, but I have none....The only thought that came to me was perhaps hand stitching them to a wool base of some sort to stabilize and then let your wonderful imagination go wild??? Be sure to share with us what you do, eventually, come up with! Smiles & Saturday Hugs ~ Robin

Jean Bee said...

I'd make a larger heart the same shape out of wool or an old cotton "quilted" mattress pad and applique the coverlet hearts onto that (stuff the wool/quilted one into a "pillow" for a "tuck" somewhere) - you can never have too many hearts!!

Anonymous said...

Patti,
There are 2 lightweight fusibles I use to stabilize projects like this. One is available from SueSpargo.com She recommends and uses it on her rayon velvet. The other is what Brenda Gervais recommends to put on fabrics and wools to punchneedle on. I iron it on to fabrics like your coverlet if I'm going to blanket or whip stitch it to something else.
Nancy

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Patti,
I so loved your post as I just did one recently about scraps as well!! I LOVE to keep all those little pieces because you just never know when you might need one, right?
I love the suggestions about the stabilizer...so helpful!!
I'm sure you will find the perfect use for those sweet hearts, my most favorite shape!
Warm Blessings~~
Julie