Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Love at First Sight

Are you familiar with Suzanne Davis' blog - Painter of the Past? Or her website Pear Tree Primitives? I am a fan of her work and her blog. A short time ago, I was reading her blog and saw this picture: I was immediately drawn to the pair of paintings in the upper right hand corner. I was convinced that they were antiques that were inspiring her new drawings. For some reason I kept thinking about these paintings and went back several times to look at them again.

A short time later I was taking a peek at Suzanne's etsy shop and low and behold... There he was!!!

He wasn't an antique, but one of Suzanne's paintings! Don't you agree that this lovely painting in this aged frame looks truly old? Suzanne noted that this was inspired by a circa 1830 silhouette by an artist now known as the Red Book Artist (as in the book that he is holding). I kept going back and looking at this painting all night. Should I buy it or shouldn't I? Around midnight I finally asked myself - how would I feel if I woke up in the morning and found that it had sold? I hit the buy button immediately! Then I went to sleep with visions of a certain prim silhouette dancing happily in my head.

In the middle of the night I awoke. How could I possibly separate the pair?! Weren't they destined to be together forever?? Now in my cold little corner of the world, you don't get out of bed unless it is absolutely necessary! So eventually I did fall back to sleep. But can you guess what was the very first thing I did when I woke up (before I did ANYTHING)? You've got it! I fired up the computer and ordered...

Now they'll be together forever! What was I thinking just ordering one? Lucky for me, Suzanne is a very quick shipper, so I didn't have to wait long for my beloved paintings to arrive. When I saw them close up I was even happier with my purchases (could that really be possible?) The lace on her collar is incredible, you feel like you could just reach out and touch it...

I think they look quite at home with my old books and this great landscape painting on a book cover by Lori Brechlin of Notforgotten Farm.

Words can't express how thrilled I am with these paintings. Isn't it amazing when you find a work of art that truly touches your heart?

“I wish I was a little seed,
I’d grow and grow and grow.
I’d twine myself around your heart
And never let you go.”

-from the late 1800’s


Blessings, Patti

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Patti, you have me blushing. You are so sweet and I am so very pleased that you liked BOTH! :)
I'm glad they traveled together to your home....now they are the perfect Valentine couple!

La Donna Welter said...

They belong together! How very wonderful!

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

A perfect pair together, forever as it should be...
Suzanne's attention to detail is astounding as I own two of her paintings as well...you can even see their eyelashes.
In this season of Winter it is a perfect way to bring warmth to the room.
Susan

SweetAnnee said...

oh Suzanne does such lovely work.
The pics look great in your home!!!

smiles, Deena

Lana Manis said...

I have some of Suzanne's work and can attest to what eveyone else is saying... she does exceptional work!