Saturday, January 19, 2019

Another side of Los Angeles


On our final night we went on a haunted / true crimes walking tour of old downtown Los Angeles.
We met at a park where I was immediately enthralled by this stunning nativity in the park gazebo.


It was almost life size and oh so lovely.


We started at the Pico House which was the first three story building in Los Angeles.


I was surprised by the number of old buildings in the neighborhood.


I always think of Los Angeles as shiny and new.
We saw many buildings and heard many stories that were the basis of the tv show American Horror Story. I haven't seen it, but both my sons are fans.


I loved the curtain of lights on this street!


My favorite was this building.
It may look familiar - in the original Ghostbusters movie this was the "New York" building where the giant Stay Puff marshmallow man was...
In real life it is The Biltmore Hotel.
(and the last place Elizabeth Short was seen alive - the Black Dahlia murder.)
Our tour ended here and we decided that we needed to see the inside of this hotel.


As soon as you walk in the door, I was struck by the stunning ceiling. 


The entry is so grand and majestic!


We stopped in the lobby bar for their famous Black Dahlia drink.
Our bartender was a lovely older gentleman who regaled us with stories and told us his most recent regular is Johnny Depp. No star sightings while we were there.


The original Academy Awards shows were held in the grand ballroom here. 


It was fascinating to look at the old giant photographs on the walls and try to see which stars we could pick out. 
The hotel is so grand and enormous that it reminded all of us of the hotel in the movie "The Shining".
When we go back to Los Angeles, we would love to stay here for at least a night!


It was time for a final meal and to get some sleep before heading home...
We returned to a favorite restaurant in Santa Monica


Blue Plate Taco
and yes, I had the same meal for the second time that weekend - Lobster Tacos.
Yum! They were just as delicious the second time!

Thanks for letting me share.
I'll be back to stitching in my next post!

“You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord,
    “and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and trust me
    and understand that I am the One.
Before me no God was formed,
    nor will there be one after me.
~Isaiah 43:10

Blessings, Patti

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Thanks for sharing all of the beautiful pics.
The Nativity is beautiful, and love that curtain of lights!
Marilyn

GeneGribouille03 said...

La nativité sous ce kiosque est superbe et encore une belle promenade merci oui que fais tu de beau :) belle semaine bises Geneviève

TheCrankyCrow said...

Oh wow!!! Sounds like you went out with a bang!!!! I LOVE those haunted tours and look for them wherever we go... Unfortunately, they are easier to find than finding any of my traveling companions who are willing to go with me. I know that much is hype and such, but there is always so much history...and all those wonderful old buildings!!! I did a haunted tour in San Francisco when I was. There many, many, years ago by myself for a NAFTA seminar... I ended up losing track of time at our first stop (the oldest cemetery in the city) and missed not only the tour bus I was on, but the next two as well....I have an adventure trying to find my way back to my hotel LOL..... Thanks so much for sharing....love the photos.... The Baltimore is fantastic!!! Smiles & Monday Hugs ~ Robin