Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Spring Break in Asheville, North Carolina


Wow! You guys are good! 
Several of you guessed the area that I was visiting!
Our first stop was some hiking along the Blue Ridge Parkway 
and then a stop at the Folk Art Center and the Southern Highland Craft Guild Store ~
 you know that I had some fun shopping there!


Pictures aren't allowed in the store, but I have to share some of the center


I loved the antiques features as well.


Asheville has so many wonderful art galleries that we enjoyed.
And art in public places and


everywhere you looked.


some art in alleys 


And some that you might miss if you blinked
or walked too quickly


Like the little gnome village that entranced us.


Asheville has a wonderful history as well.


The artwork on this building really intrigued us.


The story is that many of the local residents found themselves as models for these faces.


I'm so glad that it is still standing to enjoy.


The Grove Arcade was a wonderful building.


That is still put to wonderful use.


We toured the Basilica of St. Lawrence


And enjoyed the lovely artwork.


The dome of the Basilica was absolutely amazing!


I was so glad that we didn't just walk by...


The city is very hilly for us flatlanders. 
You were either walking uphill or downhill, never flat.
My Fitbit said that we walked 20,000+ steps every day and 40+ flights of stairs 
even though no stairs were actually involved ;) 
 

But don't worry, the restaurants in Asheville were wonderful and we ate well
(Too keep up our strength of course!)
This was my meal at Chestnut - a wonderful local trout.


Thank goodness my friend, Linda alerted me to Hole Doughnuts!
They were named dessert of the year by Bon Appetit in 2016!


Each doughnut is made to order and totally worth the wait.


Lucky I took a quick picture as they didn't last but a few minutes :)


 Asheville also has some great shopping.

I found this lovely store that I hadn't heard of before ~ they have 5 U.S. locations 
and a website and I am totally enamored!


A Facebook friend suggested this antique mall and 
Wow! I have never seen anything like it.


Antiques as far as the eye could see!


Our sons said that they could have spent have spent hours there
(I guess we taught them well lol!)


I was trying to figure out how I could carry one of these baskets on the plane,
but didn't come up with a solution.


Loved the old Pepsi bottle cap sign.
 

We all also loved the Asheville Pinball Museum


We had so much fun playing pinball on old machines from when we were growing up and new machines as well as fun arcade games like PacMan, Frogger and Asteroids.
We stayed until they closed and were disappointed when they announced last call...

I think that one of our favorite parts of the trip was the Haunted Asheville walking tour. Even if you don't care for "ghosts", the tour is well worth the price and the time! Our tour guide, Brian Bloxsom was amazing. We did it the night we arrived and learned so much about the history of the city and really knew our way around it by the time that it was over. Each and every one of us enjoyed it and he kept the entire tour group fascinated the entire night.


Asheville is a lovely city and I was so excited to see blooming trees, 
knowing that we were soon to return to freezing weather.

I'll have one more quick post about our trip and the main draw of Asheville.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,"
~Hebrews 12:1

Blessings, Patti


6 comments:

Lady Locust said...

How fun! Glad you had a good time.

Marilyn said...

Looks like a great area to visit.
Thanks for sharing all of the pics.
Marilyn

Cheryl R said...

Oh thank you for sharing. I was over the moon at all the murals and architect and the April Cornell store out me over the top..lol.
I'm familiar with her fabric for quilting, what fun you have.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Did you go to SassyJacks in Weaverville--it is a suburb of Asheville--a great new shop. And Five Little Monkey's quilt shop right next door?

Rugs and Pugs said...

Looks like a great place to visit! Off to the Biltmore?

Cheryl WNC said...

So glad you visited Asheville. It is a wonderful place to be. Did you know there is a chocolate factory? Uptown on the square where the monument with the pigs is and a short walk down the hill in a beautiful historic building. French Broad Chocolates
https://www.frenchbroadchocolates.com I love the antique barn too.

Thanks for sharing.