Friday, October 15, 2010

I'm Back! Boxwood & Berries~Day 1

Well, my pin cushion is worn out and so am I!
It is back to reality ~ loads of laundry and the boys' activities and catching up on emails & voicemails both at work and at home.
But I wanted to take a moment and start sharing this incredible experience with you...
Every year I think that retreats hosted by Jeanne at the Country Sampler can't possibly get any better, but they do.
I've always attended alone, but this year my dear friend Kim joined me so we doubled the fun :)

Friday night started out with dinner, a Meet & Greet and an opportunity to see the projects we would be working on.

Then Barb and Alma of Blackbird Designs delighted us with a trunk show.

They were so kind to bring along the antique samplers that several of their cross stitch patterns are based on.


At each of our places was waiting this sweet basket filled with goodies.
First thing Saturday morning we started our first project "Winter Apple"

A stunning appliqued and quilted table topper / lap quilt.
I am completely uncomfortable with cotton applique and didn't feel up to the challenge of stepping outside my comfort zone. Barb and Alma were so kind and were willing to help me, but I really appreciated the fact that they supported my choice to translate the pattern into a medium that is much more comfortable to me...

Wool Applique.
I used the same pattern pieces and color scheme, then picked some lucious wools from Jeanne's well stocked shop.
Day #1 was completed and so was my first project!
Stay tuned for more news from Boxwood & Berries!

Blessings, Patti

5 comments:

Nan ~ Threadwork Primitives said...

I'm so glad to hear you and your friend had a great time. I know I would have been thrilled to attend. I love your wool project. It's absolutely beautiful and such a great design. Can't wait to see more.
~Nan

bayrayschild said...

Hi Patti,
Sounds like a wonderful time and Oh, what a beautiful wool mat you created!

Audrey

Moonpie primitives said...

Hi Patti:
WOW....Looks like you had a great time..I love your wool applique...You choice of colors are beautiful..
Happy stitching, Nancy

Raymond Homestead said...

I have been waiting to hear all about your trip! Sounds like you had a good time! Can't wait to hear more!

Christine said...

How lucky you are!!! Maybe someday!
ILOVE your wool applique!
christine