Wednesday, February 10, 2010

*S*N*O*W* *D*A*Y*

The first phone call came at 5:30 a.m. ~ the high school is closed. Then the phone rang at 6:00 a.m. ~ the middle school is closed. Needless to say it's a happy household this morning!
What was the first thing I did? Well, pull out the pattern "Snow Day" by Tanya Anderson of The Sampler Girl, of course! And then pulled my thread and fabric :) I spent some time with the boys in the morning. I thought it would be a good idea to give them time to plow the train parking lot and clear the sidewalks downtown. Then I needed to head in to the office for a few scheduled meetings.
I stitched on the slow train in and the slow train home and here it is...
Perfect to celebrate the day! I have a few ideas on finishing and will show you how it turns out...

As far as the snow, we here in Chicago had nothing like out east. Only 13 inches ~ barely enough for a snow day. About half the schools were in session and half were out. My boys were definitely lucky ;)

I thought you might like to see a snow day in Chicago, so I took a few photos on my way in. The top photo was the Art Institute. The one directly above is the Cloud Gate sculpture affectionately known as the "Bean" overlooking the Park Grill and the ice rink ~ not many skaters today.

Here's Wrigley Square in Millenium Park.

And the Pritzker Pavillion.
Tell me, how did you spend your snow day?
Hope you are staying warm and cozy!
Blessings, Patti

7 comments:

corinna said...

snow day is fun
both the stitched version
and the stay home in the morning
version......enjoyed the photoor ss
of snowy chicago
thanks for sharing

that train ride is perfect for a stitch and/or read

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

We didn't get that much snow yesterday, either. ALL the schools were closed though because it was a "count" day in Michigan. Rather than risk some kids not coming in, they close the school. Got a little more snow overnight but not much....

Chicago is a wonderful city anytime - one of my favorites but snow covered - it's especially beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Your Snow Day is really cute!

Deb said...

We had a snow day here too yesterday, but I don't think we really had enough to warrant it. But it was school headcount day in Michigan for their federal funding, so I think the schools erred on the side of caution and called off school so that count could be taken today.

I heard that you had an earthquake there yesterday. Did you feel it?

Amy said...

Have a nice snow day. I lived in Ohio 38 years. Moved to Texas this past July. I am enjoying watching it on the Weather Channel. But when it is 105 with 100% humidity, I will probably change my mind!!!!

One January a few years ago, they closed down the city I lived in and I was off work three days. I got a huge amount done on a wedding sampler I was doing for my parents. They got it on their anniversary that year!!!!

Stay warm and God Bless

Sue said...

We didn't get nearly that much downstate. I miss Chicago, we haven't been for a while...we are so much closer to St. Louis now that when we need a "city fix" we head south.

Sue

bayrayschild said...

Wonderful photos Patti!

Can't wait to see the finished "Snow Day" project.
It sure is beautiful so far!

Audrey

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

Looks great, Patti!! Your finishes are always so lovely.

Tanya