Sunday, August 24, 2008

Recharged

We've returned from our wonderful week on the Lake Chippewa Flowage in northern Wisconsin. We're recharged mentally and emotionally. A little tired physically, but a good tired. The Chippewa Flowage is over 15,000 acres of water with more than 140 islands. Most of our time is spent kayaking from island to island exploring, swimming and fishing. In 1949, the world record musky was caught in these waters 63.5 inches long and weighing in at 69 lbs. 11 oz. We, however, were just fishing for panfish :)
This beautiful rainbow greeted us when we arrived. At the end of our only rain. The nights were chilly, but warmed up by lunchtime for wonderful 80 degree afternoons. The boys favorite adventure is looking for (and sometimes gently catching) wildlife, identifying it in their guidebooks, then letting it go right where they found it. This trip we found a painted turtle
bull frogs, wood frogs, mink frogs, and leopard frogs. Other finds truly inspired me... I have so many photos that I would love to share, but they will have to wait for another day... My favorite souvenirs are memories and photos, but I did manage to purchase a few treasures as well. I also found a vintage velvet table runner. It was perfect for me - full of holes so that I don't mind cutting it up. It begged that I do something with it immediately, so it turned into this pumpkin before I came home:
"The use of travel is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are." - Samuel Jackson
Well, I had better turn in... tomorrow is a big day at our house. Our oldest son is starting high school at the same school that I attended. Our youngest son starts his final year of elementary school on Tuesday. I think that this is the beginning of a new life stage for us. Where does the time go...

Blessings, Patti

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patti, that looks like a wonderful vacation! I loved all the photos... and I LOVE that pumpkin!

Happy belated birthday!

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

Patti your photos are magical...SO pretty! I especially love the snail shells! I have a little collection of them myself!!!

Your vacation sounds like a slice of heaven...so happy that you had a wonderful time with your family~

and, your little velvet Pumpkin is a treasure!!!!!

Blessed be!!

Suzanne said...

What memories you made and treasures you found! So glad you all had a wonderful time.

Your pumpkin is so sweet!
Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos!

SweetAnnee said...

Hi Patti..I so enjoy your blog..I've added you to my Nestle blog ..so I come again and again..
smiles, Deena

Joni of Fully Wooly Primitives said...

You have some really lovely photos,what a wonderful holiday! Joni