Sunday, August 10, 2008

Blessings

Isn't this photo incredible? I took it in my garden today and was so happy with how it turned out! It expresses exactly how I feel today full of smiles and thanksgiving for all the blessings of my life.

The garden continues to grow and thrive The indian corn is starting to appear and the tomatoes are ripening.


Today my youngest son and I visited a Country Fair at the Des Plaines Methodist Campgrounds. This gem is less than 15 minutes from my home and I am sorry to say that this is only the second time that I have ever been there. This campground was built in 1859 and has remained largely unchanged over the years. Many of the cottages have stayed in families for generations. It is built along the Des Plaines river and has been flooded many times. Some of the cottages have been kept up better than others. At the center of the campground is Waldorf Tabernacle, built in 1903 (replacing the canvas tent used for many years).
Today there was a craft fair, quilt show, car show, and a Civil War Encampment. The hotel was built in 1882. It no longer houses guests, but today it was open as a pie bakery. It was such a perfect day that I don't want to go to bed and have it end. But wait... who knows what tomorrow will bring?!


"Come and find the quiet center in the crowded life we lead, find the room for hope to enter, find the frame where we are freed: Clear the chaos and the clutter, clear our eyes that we can see All the things that really matter, be at peace, and simply be." -Shirley Erena Murray


Blessings, Patti
Oops! I almost forgot to mention... One of the cottages is now a resale shop to raise funds for the campground. I have to share my $3 worth of purchases:
The breadcloths are in perfect shape and are reversible. The baskets look like wicker, but are actually heavy gage wire. Aren't they great?! I don't think I've seen anything like them before.

3 comments:

SweetAnnee said...

Oh the camp looks so fun.. I miss those days of child hood.
and your finds are awesome..love the baskets..
deena

La Donna Welter said...

Patti,
Thank you for stopping by my blog, and your king words about my papercutting! I grew up on a farm in Iowa, so your photographs are very dear to me. Thank you for sharing!
Hugs,
La Donna

Suzanne said...

What a fun trip! I love the painting of the tents. You found some great baskets too!