Thursday, January 10, 2019

A Quick trip to southern California


Right before Christmas we took a quick family vacation to southern California.
Nothing can be better than time away with my husband and two sons. 
With the boys getting older, I don't know how many more family vacations there will be - scheduling gets harder and harder!


Chicago has had a pretty mild winter, but it was still nice to warm up and soak in some sunshine.


 And to take in the lovely trees, bushes and flowers.


I never get to see blooming Bird of Paradise in the parks in Chicago ;)


We had plenty of sunshine for our trip. 


You can see the Santa Monica Pier in the distance.


The pier was just a few blocks from our hotel.


Speaking of our lovely hotel, I was a little shocked when I first walked in our room!
Luckily, there was a privacy screen that came down to separate the bedroom and bathroom.
I guess I am just a midwestern prude lol!


We saw evidence of the horrible wildfires - this is near the Griffith Park Observatory.


 This is as close as we got to the famous Hollywood sign.


The Griffith Park Observatory was lovelier than I remembered - 
it has been 23 years since I was there last...


The rooftop offers lovely views.


Was the haze fog or smog??


We weren't able to spend too much time as my husband really wanted to see:


 The LaBrea Tar Pits


Large tar pits right in the middle of downtown Los Angeles.
Can you see the tar oozing and bubbling?


So many bones have been found of mammoths and saber tooth tigers and all kinds of extinct creatures.


It's a very active museum with lots of scientists and interns busy going though all the finds... 


The LaBrea Stork caught my eye


Along with the Dire Wolves


The wall of Dire Wolf skulls was amazing.


I am so glad that we went!

I think I'll have one more post to share some of the touristy things that we had to do ;)
Then it will be back to my stitching...

Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying:

“Sovereign Lord, as you have promised,

    you may now dismiss[a] your servant in peace.

For my eyes have seen your salvation,

     which you have prepared in the sight of all nations:
 a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
    and the glory of your people Israel.”
~Luke 2:28-32

Blessings, Patti

4 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Never made it to the tar pits and since my son no longer lives there, I won't, but that's ok. Just too darn many people. I have been to the Griffith Observatory and to Santa Monica pier several times. It's a great place to visit, but I sure wouldn't want to live there!
Get to any fun shops like you usually do?

Marilyn said...

Looks like a nice relaxing break from the Holidays.
Marilyn

GeneGribouille03 said...

Merci pour la promenade ensoleillée en France il fait gris et les oiseaux du paradis sont superbes belle journée Geneviève

marly said...

Such devastation from the fires. So so sad for the people and animals.

I close the bathroom door when I'm home by myself!