Friday, October 24, 2014

Boxwood & Berries 2014 ~ The Journey Begins...


This year the Bittersweet Sisters returned to Boxwood & Berries at the Country Sampler in Spring Green, Wisconsin where we met several years ago.

Before class started, we had to make a few stops:


JJ Stitches in Sun Prairie.
Don't you love the antique cheddar quilt with the matching antique children's chairs?!


And Cottage House Primitives in Lodi, WI where we had to visit the ducks.
We had a delicious lunch at Coffee Grounds right on Main Street and I definitely recommend it.

That evening Jeanne hosted a meet and greet for the class.


As always the Schoolroom was lovely


With inspiration all around.


We had a great time. Jeanne's friend Ruth had an antiques booth filled with treasures (as you can see behind us) and there were many quilt shop samples for sale.

The next morning we were all excited to get started.


I had my supplies all ready in an old wood box I bought a few months back. 
An old velvet pincushion fit perfectly in one of the sections.

At each of our seats, we found this:


A fabulous vintage brazing dish / tray with the date stamped in the bottom - mine is dated 1952.
A sweet little journal for taking notes
Boxwood and berries in a paper cone
A Country Sampler corner gauge and needle minder
and Our first Maggie project!
  

It was hard to get a photo of the entire piece.
I just love this design and couldn't wait to get started!


Later in the day, Maggie gave a trunk show of all the wonderful items in her new book, "Thistle Down Moon". All of the projects in the book are wonderful, but seeing them in person I soon realized that they were even more divine! How is that possible? :)


We were all struck by this wonderful project and Maggie's unique framing.
The best news was that Country Sampler has it kitted!


I made some good progress during my time at Boxwood & Berries and this is how far I got before heading home.

Well, this is just the beginning... I'll be sharing more in the next several posts.
Stay tuned until the end, when I will have a giveaway of some little treasures accumulated along the way...

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ."
~Ephesians 1:3 

Blessings, Patti

14 comments:

kelley said...

looks like the perfect getaway...the Merry Christmas piece is killing me from total gorgeousness!

quiltsbycheri said...

everything looks just absolutely luscious!

cucki said...

Wow it's so beautiful x

Melanie said...

I'm hoping to go next year.... This is awesome....

marly said...

I love your box - great find! Thanks for giving us a glimpse of the action.

paulette said...

WQW!!! Now this is what I call a reTREAT!!! Love the project that you are working on...WOW!!

Mouse Droppings Folk Art said...

How I would love to fly down and take that class...nothing like that up here in the North. Lovely projects. Cheers, Susan

linda said...

I've been waiting for this Oct's Bittersweet Sisters adventures! How wonderful you chose this retreat. I know you love Country Sampler and Maggie. What a delightful time. I love your wooden box, too. Can't wait to see the rest of the posts. Thank you so very much for sharing your journey.

marie said...

How lucky you are to attend. Seems like none of the good teachers every travel to Oregon.

Marilyn said...

It looks like a perfect getaway.
Love your vintage box.
The projects all look wonderful, and can't wait to see more.
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Marilyn

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a fun trip!!! Lucky you. I look forward to seeing lots more.
Hugs :)
Lauren

susan said...

looks like a fantastic time. the "a merry christmas" wool project, is it from a book? i really love it

Raymond Homestead said...

I just love reading about your trip! That Maggie Christmas runner is awesome! I hope she sells the pattern some day!

Unknown said...

Buy boxwood for sale Shrubs Online at Garden Goods Direct, High quality, low price on these fast growing shrubs direct from the grower to you