Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Robin Redbreast



I love robins ~ they are my absolute favorite bird (although I have a soft spot for wild turkeys as well :) I'm not sure what it is about them ~ they seem like such a "homey" bird ~ sweet and motherly, not flashy. And I anxiously await them each spring.
For the first time in the 15 years that we have lived in our home, a pair of robins have decided to make their home here as well. Their nest is right outside our mudroom window, although you need to crain and strain to get a glimpse out of the window...


I don't know who was more startled to see who!

Each spring I celebrate the robins return by decorating my home with images of robins... This lovely painting is by Suzanne Davis of Peartree Primitives.


I love this old wooden breadbox painted by Chris Robinson. The sentiment states my thoughts perfectly...
This spring, I've added to my collection:

Isn't this robin family just amazing?!?!

TDIPT sister, Audrey Baker of Bay Ray's Child created this incredible piece.

The detail is just amazing. I expect Mama Robin to fly away at any moment...



And those sweet little babies...


Audrey also created these other robins a few years ago.


Another new addition for me this spring is this incredible mohair robin perched on an antique victorian wire basket turned pincushion. It is the creation of Cathy Pendleton of The Cheswick Company.



Some creations that I've created myself. The little nest pillow is based on a design by Maggie Bonanomi. Here's the original design:


This was created in a Maggie Bonanomi class a few years back at the Country Sampler in Spring Green, WI.

Another Maggie Bonanomi class creation from Spring Green. I can't recall what color the bird was supposed to be, but of course I had to make it a robin :)

I never thought of adding pennies & patches to the bottom and the tongues, but loved the way it turned out.


It's a busy piece, but I love the colors and pull it out every year when the robins return.
It's time to add a new robin creation this year. We especially need to celebrate the robins making a nest right next to our "nest" :)

Here it is in progress... not sure how I will finish, but I will be sure to share when I do!
"When a robin cocks his head
Sideways in a flower bed,
Does he hear the tiny sound
Of a worm beneath the ground?"
~Anonymous
Blessings, Patti

8 comments:

Katrina said...

Fun post and gorgeous pics, love the penny rug.

Diva Kreszl said...

how lovely that this robin chose your home to be her nesting place and how sweet your commemorative piece is!

Linda said...

Love your robins. Lisa Bongean has a beautiful wool robin applique piece in her new book, Summer Gatherings.
http://lisabongean.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/last-of-the-summer-gatherings-projects/

Raymond Homestead said...

I love all your robins especially the penny rug!

Nan ~ Threadwork Primitives said...

Love them all. Have fun watching your new house guests.
~Nan

Sherry said...

I just love all the Robins! And your nesting moma is beautiful. I hope she has lots of babies you can share pictures of! I always throw some food on the ground for them since they don't eat at feeders and our Robins stick around all year so I know they get hungry in the winter with a frozen ground!

RoseMary Baty-Willcox said...

Gorgeous
I just love birds. I feed them so i can see them up close. Just love your wool creations.

The Primitive Moon said...

Incredibly beautiful works.