Monday, February 10, 2014

Sledding in Illinois


a portion of 
"Sledding in Connecticut"
a design by Lori Brechlin of Notforgotten Farm

Although I truly loved the whole design, I knew that I didn't have time to stitch the entire lovely piece. And so I stitched my favorite part - a commemoration of the very long winter of 2014.
You can see/purchase the original design here.


This is truly a make-do creation. When I discovered that I didn't have the Sampler Threads called for, I made do with what I had on hand.


I thought this bit of lace looked a little like snowflakes and mirrored the grey design at the bottom of the snow.

We have a sled hill in town that has provided so many happy memories through the years. Parents and small children enjoy sledding during the day. The school children have fun on the hill after school and again right after dinner. Then when the school children head off to bed, the teenagers have their turn to see who can sled standing up and how many teens can fit on one sled :)
This would have been the perfect winter for sledding with fresh snowfalls every few days, but alas it was not to be. Our sled hill is closed this winter due to construction in the park. 

And so it continues...


A common sight as I commute to and from work this winter. 
I don't mind too much provided there is a train with heat on which to sit and stitch ;)


The view from my mudroom closet window as I headed out this weekend.


My view as my youngest son took his weekly drum lesson. 
(It reminds me of the hills in my cross stitch finish lol.)

We have had 63+ inches of snow this winter here in Chicago. We have a detached garage on an alley and with no place for the snow to go, the alley gets narrower and narrower with each snowfall. It takes creative maneuvering when you encounter another car or worse yet a garbage truck...  
The snow has stopped for now and we are back in a deep freeze. I can't recall the last time we were above freezing. It looks like we might get there next week (hopefully!). And then the big thaw will begin...

Thank you Lori for creating such an inspiring design that brought back happy memories and will remind me of the challenging Winter of 2014. I hope someday to go back and stitch the design in its entirety.

"The Lord is compassionate and gracious,
slow to anger, abounding in love."
~Psalm 103:8

Blessings, Patti

10 comments:

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

WOW! Love the way you stitched the piece. Coldest rJanuary on record since 1986--no snow. Atlanta bracing for second snow. It snows to the north of us and south of us but no snow in Nashville.

annie said...

Lovely Design, I like the lace on it!
+63, wow! I can't even imagine that!

Primitive Stars said...

Morning, love the sweet design, looks so sweet sledding......you are so lucky to enjoy some nice weather, so cold here in Winterpeg :). Blessings Francine.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I love, love, love that finish!
Its -17 right now as I sit here in my freezing office...LOL! I don't know how much snow totals we've had here in Indiana, but we're not far behind you. Its been miserable - I feel you!

jennifer768 said...

Love that design and the finish with the lace!! It has been cold here but we really haven't had that much snow,most of it goes around us.I can not imagine 63 inches! Stay safe and warm.Blessings,Jen

Anonymous said...

LOVE it Patty!!! You sure have a good eye for color and design - all your work is exceptional!

Merry Wind Farm said...

Hi, Patti,
I just love your interpretation of this pattern and I think making do with what you have is the best way!
Melinda

Prims By The Water said...

A challenging Winter is being mild...so tired of the snow. Love your stitchery! Janice

Sarah Beth said...

Your finish reminds me of when I was a kid playing in the snow

Ranae said...

I love your finish, that's a great idea. I have it kitted, but I might have to steal your idea
I love all the snow, but I'm ready for spring, I think that's due from the freezing cold temps.